A Three Day Adventure into the Mayan Ceremonial Caves and Ruins of Western Belize
The Cayo Caves & Temples Extension travels inland to the Che Chem Ha Pottery Caves, the Mayan Ruins of Xunantunich and the vibrant town of San Ignacio.
- Explore the colorful markets of San Ignacio, visit local craft shops and experience the friendly culture of Belize.
- On the Vaca Plateau hike rainforest trails to the entrance of Che Chem Ha caves.
- Journey underground into a seldom visited Mayan ceremonial cave and view thousands year old Mayan pottery.
- Visit the Mayan Ruins of Xunantunich and climb to the top of 'El Castillo Temple' - the second tallest building in Belize.
- All inclusive includes airport transfers, site fees, meals and guided activities.
You can see more photos on our general gallery page here.
Arrive at the Belize International Airport, where you are met by an Island Expeditions' representative and transferred to the town of San Ignacio. Before arriving at our hotel we explore the famous San Ignacio market, and stroll the pedestrian-only Burns Avenue. We follow a meandering road up to Cahal Pech Village Resort - a picturesque lodge with a grand vista overlooking the town of San Ignacio and the rolling hills of Western Belize.
Meals: Breakfast, Lunch
A full day of adventure and exploration. Our first mission is to explore the ancient Mayan ruins of Xunantunich. We cross the Mopan River on a hand-cranked ferry to ruins which are situated on the banks of the river. Here, we travel back through centuries to the ancient world of kings, temples, plazas and ball courts.
The next adventure is the underground geology and archaeology of the Che Chem Ha cave system. We hike through the rainforest and up into a multi-chambered series of caves rich with geological formations, ancient ceremonial altars, Mayan artifacts and relics.
From our lodge, it's just a short walk to the Maya Ruins of Cahal Pech where we spend an enjoyable morning at the ruins and then head back to the lodge for a swim.
If you are flying home on Day 3, the transfer time from San Ignacio to the Belize International Airport is about 2 hours and your departure from San Ignacio can be coordinated to connect with your international flight.