Traveling During the COVID19 Pandemic - Updated April 2022
Belize is open for travelers, and welcoming people each day. However, there are a few considerations for travel. Fully vaccinated travelers are required to show proof of vaccine status to enter the country. Unvaccinated travelers require a test administered at the airport (at your cost of $50 USD). Anyone boarding a flight in Canada is required to show proof of full covid-19 vaccination to proceed.
Current rules for travel back to or through the US currently require a negative antigen test. Our staff will work with you to coordinate your testing prior to your departure from Belize.
Protocols implemented to ensure your safety
Belize is among the safest destinations for international travel due to the swift and responsible measures enacted by the Belizean government. On our part, Island Expeditions has been awarded Gold Standard Tour Operator Certification by the Belize Tourism Board. You can book with confidence knowing that our tours are officially part of Belize's Safe Corridor. Also our staff in Belize are 100% vaccinated.
Island Expeditions safety and health protocols include:
- Operations Base disinfected daily
- High touch areas disinfected regularly
- Kayak and snorkel equipment cleaned and disinfected
- Vehicles disinfected before each use
- Guests and employees must use hand sanitizer when entering vehicles or transport boats
Suspected Covid-19 Cases
- In the event of a guest showing any Covid-19 symptoms, we will implement our Covid-19 Response Plan in cooperation with Belize Health Authorities
- If the Ministry of Health Authorities require you to quarantine, the costs associated with quarantine will need to be paid by the traveler and recoverable through the required Belize travel insurance.
BELIZE TOURISM BOARD TRAVEL HEALTH AND SAFETY GUIDELINES
To protect the health and well-being of both tourists and Belizeans, the Government of Belize has implemented these travel procedures:
Before You Travel to Belize
- Effective Feb. 15, 2022, all visitors are required to apply for Belize Travel Health Insurance – a mandatory insurance that helps protect travelers against incurred medical and non-medical expenses, if they test positive for COVID-19 during their stay in Belize.
- The cost of the policy is $18 USD and provides coverage for up to $50,000 USD in medical expenses related to treatment of COVID-19 for a period of 21 days. This insurance plan will come online under the country’s public health regulations and provide cover for lodging expenses due to quarantine up to $2,000 USD (max $300/day USD). Travelers will also be covered for emergency assistance services such as air evacuation and emergency expenses related to pre-existing conditions. Furthermore, it covers trip cancellations and expenses incurred by COVID-19 positive travelers for extended stays. To purchase insurance, visit https://belizetravelinsurance.com/
- Before you book anything, please go to this link to check the latest requirements https://www.travelbelize.org/health-safety
- Travelers with proof of covid-19 vaccination are no longer required to present a negative test.
- Unvaccinated travelers are required to take a Covid test upon arrival; the cost is US$50 and takes approximately 25-30 minutes to receive your results.
- Follow all protocols of airlines and airports
- Sanitize often
Arrival in Belize:
- Disembark plane and proceed to health screening
- Sanitize shoes and pass thermal imaging cameras. Temperature must be less than 100℉ to proceed
- Verify purchase of Belize Travel Insurance, as per above
- Show proof of vaccination for entry
- Unvaccinated travelers are required to take a Covid test upon arrival. The cost is $50 USD per traveler.
- If your test result is positive, health officials will isolate you and you will be transferred to an approved quarantine facility for a minimum of 14 days, but the costs incurred are covered by the Belize Travel Insurance policy.
Gold Standard Certificates:
If you are traveling with us and wish to download or print off the certificates of where you are staying your first night, they can be accessed here:
- Island Expeditions (AKA Island Adventures) - Cert 000197
- Bocawina Eco-Tours & Adventures - Cert 000175
- Bocawina Rainforest Resort (AKA Mama Noots Eco Resort) – Cert 000595
- Tobacco Caye Paradise Cabins – Cert 000332
- Cahal Pech Resort - Cert 000295
- Crystal Paradise resort - Cert 000405
- Birdseye View Lodge - Certified 000427
- Best Western Belize Biltmore Plaza - Cert 000001
Immigration and Customs:
- Guests proceed to baggage claim
- Guests proceed to Customs.
Your stay in Belize:
- Arrival at BTB Gold Standards approved hotel
- If you're interested in exploring Belize independently you'll need to arrange to stay at Gold Standard approved hotels and travel within designated safe corridors. Contact us for more details if your trip plans involve independent travel.
US health authorities require all returning passengers to show a negative covid test for entry.
- Passengers are able to get an Antigen Test at the International and Domestic airports in Belize at a cost of $75 USD. Results are generally available in under an hour, and must be taken within 24hrs of arrival. Please allow extra time on your departure day.
- Covid testing is available at the Biltmore Plaza Hotel in Belize City. Rapid Antigen tests are $75 USD and results are immediate.
- Canadian travelers as of April 1st, 2022 that are fully vaccinated do not require a negative test result to enter Canada. If you have a stop over in the USA, you may be required to get a negative test result.
- American travelers still require a negative test result to return home.
Current as of April 6, 2022...