The Paradise Islands trip is a lodge-to-lodge sea kayaking, snorkel and SUP trip in Belize, combining the adventure of a paddling journey along the Southern Barrier Reef with the comforts of staying in small island lodges.
1. Sea kayaking over the submerged coral reefs, turtle grass beds, and through narrow mangrove channels on the Southern Barrier Reef.
2. A highlight of the trip for many guests is visiting Carrie Bow Caye by kayak. The field station serves as a permanent site in the Smithsonian's Tenenbaum Marine Observatories Network. The snorkeling off Carrie Bow Caye is also outstanding!
Field work isn’t all done in hot, humid jungles. Sometimes it’s conducted at locations that look like they should double as a billionaire’s island vacation spot. The ocean is teeming with creatures we know very little about, and scientists often go to places like this, the Carrie Bow Cay research station in the Caribbean. #wishyouwerehere
3. The waters of the Southwater Caye Marine Reserve are shallow and clear. You will see a tremendous variety of marine life, including southern stingrays, eagle rays, grouper, nurse sharks, and more.
4. Paddling to Billy Hawk Caye in the Blue Ground Range. This is a Garifuna fishing camp where you will have lunch and enjoy an afternoon of snorkeling (or relaxing!).
5. The sheltered lagoons and turquoise waters of the Southern Barrier Reef are ideal for paddlers of varying abilities. SUP is a great way to explore the fascinating marine underworld from a unique perspective.
6. The best way to explore the Southern Barrier Reef is by snorkel!
7. This way to Paradise... read the full trip itinerary here!